Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Runner Profile: Karyn

Karyn running the Philadelphia Half Marathon in November
Karyn, a busy mother of five, including 2-year old twins, joined us for our Fall Half Marathon training program in Summer 2010 and successfully completed not one, but three half marathons this past fall!

Name: Karyn

Age: 40

When I started running: I ran track in way back in HS (20+ years ago) for one year, but the first long distance running I did was when decided to run the Marine Corps Marathon in 1998. After that I ran after my pregnancies to lose the baby weight.

Why I run: Now I run to maintain my sanity/clear my head, to stay in shape and because I really love it. I feel that it is empowering that I can accomplish anything that I set my mind to.

Favorite local race: Even though it’s been years since I’ve run it I’d have to say the Marine Corps Marathon because it has such great spectators cheering everyone on and that in itself gives you so much energy.

How I stay motivated: I have to just get up early and go and not think about it. I know that I’ll feel better afterward and have less stress then if I decided to blow it off. And I know I’ll be a much calmer and nicer mommy to my 5 kids if I keep up with my runs.

Most memorable running moment: Probably the most memorable moment I have had so far was when I was on the downhill coming into downtown Baltimore to the finish line and becoming so overwhelmed and empowered because after such a challenging course, I knew that I was going to finish and most likely beat my goal time. It was a great feeling!

Future goals/race plans: I plan on running the National Half Marathon, the Maryland Double (Frederick/Baltimore) and hopefully a full marathon because I’d like to do at least one more to prove to myself that I can do it again now that I’m in my 40’s.

Advice for new runners: 1)Train with a group because it will help you stay on track and you’ll be accountable to someone other than yourself. 2) Start small and slowly add more to your mileage – you’ll be amazed at how far you can go. 3) Anything is possible, set a goal and go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment